Friday, July 24, 2009

Where to Find Romance--In a Book, That Is


No, I'm not conducting a dating service.


I'm discussing mainstream romance novels, and the different genres available.


Ah, romance--a story of a man and a woman and a relationship with a happy ending. Can anything else compare? Of course not. That's why romance is the best-selling genre in the mass-market paperback area. Look how much space romance takes up in your favorite bookstore. Or even better, in your favorite e-bookstore, like The Wild Rose Press (TWRP). Shameless promotion here, TWRP is my publisher.


Where to find your romance? First, pick your time: past, present or future. Well, you didn't need me for that breakdown. The present is, well, the present, but there can be as many futures as an author can dream up. As for the past…now, here is a treasure trove, and my area. Historical is any time before the present: Egyptian, Roman, Viking, medieval, Elizabethan, Georgian, Regency, Victorian, Edwardian, up to about World War II or later, depending on the publisher.


Then there are the types of stories you can locate in each time. From the Romance Writers of America (RWA), here are the categories for the RITA and Golden Heart contests: Suspense/Adventure, Historical, Inspirational, Novel with Strong Romantic Elements, Paranormal, Regency Historical, Romantic Suspense and Young Adult.


Next up are the heat levels. These stories are romances, so there will be some physical love…or not. I direct you to the heat levels at TWRP, from sweet (all sex behind closed doors), through sensual, spicy, hot, to GLV (erotic romance). My novellas, Lady of the Stars and Pumpkinnapper (shameless promotion again), fall into the sensual level, which is about mainstream.


And finally, location. Location, location, location may be the mantra for real estate, but not necessarily for romance. Most historicals are set in Europe, but everything else can exist anywhere.


Future vampires, historical werewolves, first loves and later loves, adventure, suspense, mystery and religion, on earth and across the universe, all wrapped up in romance. Oh, my.


Thank you all,

Linda

2 comments:

Caffey said...

Hi Linda! So beautifully said! I find so much joy and comfort in reading romances. I know I can look forward to a HEA - Happily Ever After story and that's a great 'feel good read' I read alot of different genres as well as sensuality, themes and more. Some more I treasure reading (historical, time travels) and Paranormal/Fantasy (anything goes). I for one so can't wait to read LADY OF THE STARS, a favorite theme and genre for me!

Linda Banche said...

Hi Cathie,

I have to have my HEA, too. I enjoy seeing my hero and heroine succeed against the odds. There is so much depressing stuff out there, I treasure the happiness in romances, as well as the sheer variety of stories.

Thanks for your kind words about Lady of the Stars. I hope you enjoy it.