Saturday, July 18, 2009

Welcome to The Sweetest Romances's Scavenger Hunt

Welcome to everyone participating in The Sweetest Romances's Scavenger Hunt.

The Scavenger Hunt is part of tonight's chat with guest Loree Lough at http://sweetestromancechat.blogspot.com/2009/06/welcome-to-our-chat_9789.html

If you want more information on The Sweetest Romance, please visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/The_Sweetest_Romance/

For those who want to cut to the chase, my clue is bar, and the next blog on the list is http://jdp-news.blogspot.com/

Since today's post is part of a scavenger hunt, I decided to do some searching about the word "bar". I like words. I like reading their meanings and their derivations. In my stories, I want the best word to fit every sentence. I may not always succeed, but I do make an effort.

Today's word is "bar". What is a bar?

dictionary.com lists 36 meanings, from

"a relatively long, evenly shaped piece of some solid substance, as metal or wood, used as a guard or obstruction or for some mechanical purpose: the bars of a cage."

to
"
a barroom or tavern"


to

"the legal profession",

and various others in between. Its forms include nouns, verbs, prepositions and idioms.

The word is old, as most of the basic English words are, and dates from the 1200's, from the Middle English "barra" rod.

Have some fun sometimes, finding all the different meanings of the everyday words we take for granted.

Whatever definition you choose, "bar" is the word you're searching for in the Scavenger Hunt.

Good luck!

Thank you all,
Linda

No comments: