Sunday, March 25, 2012

Review: Texas Pride by Leigh Greenwood


Penniless nobility, female ranchers, treachery, action, and loads of romance set in 1870’s Texas--Texas Pride has it all.

Impoverished Polish prince Ivan came to America ten years ago to seek his fortune. What he found were the privations of war as a soldier, backbreaking work as a cowhand, and betrayal from someone he thought a friend. When that same false friend offers him half a ranch he won in a card game if Ivan works it for a year, he is understandably wary. But selling his half of the ranch will net him enough money to return to Poland. And the ranch’s other owner is a woman beautiful enough to make a man forget his homeland. But is everything as it seems?

Furious at her younger brother for losing his share of their ranch, Carla must now deal with this usurper. She wants to hate him, but she can’t. He’s handsome, kind and able to pull his weight as a cowhand. Even better, he likes her as the feisty female she is and doesn’t want her to change, as every other man does.

Generally, westerns are not my first choice of romance. I prefer my historicals set on foreign shores. I also don’t usually read romances written by male authors. Men tend to make the hero a superman and the heroine a simpering idiot who blindly worships the god-like male. Ugh.

But not Mr. Greenwood. His Texas Pride contains all the elements I like--a story with action and mystery, a hero and heroine I love, and tons of romance. Ivan is heroic, but Carla matches him in gumption and intelligence. A true partnership, not a master and slave. And their romance is scrumptious.

Ivan is my favorite type of hero, the honorable man. I especially like honorable men who make their own way. Even better are honorable men who face treachery and come through the experience even better men. And he’s blond (I love blond heroes) and gorgeous, too. What’s not to like?

Carla is my favorite kind of heroine. I like a heroine who fights against the artificial constraints imposed by the male establishment and wins. I like even more a male author who writes with approval of such a woman. Good for you, Mr. Greenwood. I wish you loads of success.

Texas Pride has everything I love in a romance. Enjoy.

Thank you all,
Linda
ARC provided by Sourcebooks

2 comments:

catslady said...

I have this one in my tbr pile and looking forward to reading it soon!

Linda Banche said...

I enjoyed this one very much. You will too!