Thursday, December 1, 2011

NaNoWriMo Winner - I Finished!


This year, I did NaNoWriMo. Every November is National Novel Writing Month, where authors try to write 50,000 or more words in one month.

NaNoWriMo in November can be a hassle, since Thanksgiving also falls in November for those of us in the US. Be that as it may, I finished on November 24. I added 50,367 words by my count, 50596 words by their count, to a novel for which I had already written about 19,000 words.

Writing 50,000 words in one month is never easy, but the trick is just to write. You don't check spelling, and most of all, you never edit. If you write a scene one way, and then decide you don't like it, you just write the new scene and add the words to your word count. Most of writing is rewriting, but you can't rewrite until you've written. I doubt I'll keep every one of those 50,000+ words, but now I have something to work with.

The as-yet untitled book to which I added those 50,000+ words is a regency paranormal, Book 4 in my regency romance comedy series that all feature birds. I've been thinking about this book for three years. Finally, I sat down and added words to the story.

Book 1 (written in NaNoWriMo 2008) is another paranormal with the hero as a weregoose. You read right--weregoose. On the night of the full moon he grows wings and feathers and honks. Book 2 is a Christmas fantasy/paranormal story about a love triangle complicated by a goose with an amazing ability. Book 3 (the only completed novel) is a straight historical about an ornithologist with an embarrassing secret. And Book 4, which I just wrote, is about the ornithologist's assistant, who saves England.

Congratulations to all NaNoWriMo-ers, both those who completed and to those who tried. You have books!

Thank you all,
Linda

No comments: