Sunday, October 18, 2009

Promotion is NOT a Four Letter Word…

So they say.

When I decided to write, I thought I would spend all my time typing deathless prose into computer files. Spending hours making every word perfect, researching locations and dress for gorgeous descriptions.

Well, yes, writing includes that. Writing also means convincing someone to buy said deathless prose, containing all those perfect words and beautiful descriptions. In a word, promotion.

Promotion involves blogs, yahoo loops, online chats, websites, book signings, social networking sites, book trailers, web radio and TV. And then there’s Amazon listmania, Google alerts and lots of other things I have no information about.

Only a year ago, except for the book signings and yahoo loops, I had no idea most of this stuff existed. Now, except for the book trailers, web radio/TV and book signings (kind of hard to sign a PDF file), I’ve done them all.

Would I prefer to promote or write deathless prose? Come now, do you really need to ask? Of course, the prose wins, hands down. Do I like promotion? Some is fun, but it takes a LOT of time, time I could spend writing more deathless prose.

But then, nothing in life is perfect, and I have to do some promotion. I just have to find what works and stick to that.

OK, now, since I’m an author with a book just out, here comes the Shameless Promotion.

Pumpkinnapper is my Regency Halloween comedy-- Pumpkin thieves, a youthful love rekindled and a jealous goose. Oh my! Available from The Wild Rose Press. As I post this entry, Pumpkinnapper is on The Wild Rose Press's site bestseller list.


Two reviews so far, from Penelope's Reviews (rating A-) and Night Owl Reviews (3 1/2 hearts, contains spoilers)


Pumpkinnapper Buy link here.


I also have a Regency time travel, Lady of the Stars--A legend spanning time, and the man and woman caught in it--also available from The Wild Rose Press.

Reviews are here.
Lady of the Stars Buy link here.

So, send me a friend request. Visit my website, my social network pages, and all my group blogs. And buy my books. Please.

Thank you all
Linda

2 comments:

Kaye Manro said...

I so agree with you about promotion, Linda!

How did you like the Muse conference this year? If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have been there. Thanks!

Linda Banche said...

Hi Kaye,

Yes, promotion will be with us forever, whether we like it or not.

You're quite welcome. I'm glad I was able to help. Lots of great information at the Muse Conference. I still have to copy stuff from the forums.