Sunday, August 31, 2008

Shameless Promotion II

Last Wednesday, August 27, I participated in a promotion event "Fall Into A Good Book" with fourteen other authors in the Latte Lounge at Coffee Time Romance. We posted excerpts, had contests and answered posts. And there was lots of activity, right up until the end.

It was a lot of fun, but also exhausting. Whoever thinks you're not
working when you're sitting down is dead wrong.

Still, I wonder if all the activity helped sell any books. Were lots of
lurkers watching? I hope so, because it appeared we fifteen authors
were talking to each other.

I base my observation on our contests. After I had sat for a while with
only two entries, I entered as many contests as I could, just so the
others would have some participation. All told, I received five contest
entries, each one from a participating author. Did the others receive so few?

I think so. I won six contests. Six out of fifteen?

One problem may have been access to the Latte Lounge. One author
told me several of her friends tried to get in, but couldn't.

The Latte Lounge is a forum, which is similar to a Yahoo group, but
haslots of graphics available to enhance your posts. All in all, a very
nice place to post. But it's not a Yahoo group and using it may require
a little practice.

Or maybe no one was interested. I grant you, there are lots of books
out there, and everyone wants a piece of your time.

So, I'll have to wait and see if posting on loops and forums helps to drive sales.

But if you're interested in reading some great excerpts from our Fall Into a Good Book event, click on this link. You don't need to login to read.

Thank you all,
Linda

3 comments:

Kaye Manro said...

Linda, That does bring up a good question-- the loops. I've heard some authors say it helps them a lot. Others, not so much. I'm not sure what makes one sell and another not. Take Helen Hardt, for instance-- after one day, she was on The Wild Rose Press best selling top ten list. By day three she was at number three. Now she's at two and maybe one now. I promoted her on her launch day (not that my promo did that at all.) But it can be a mystery why one book will sell a lot and another sell not so much. You could say it's in the promotion, but I'm not sure. Of course not promoting at all would surely be worse!

Linda Banche said...

Kaye, I'm sure your promotion helped Helen. Christina Philips will interview me on the Friday after my launch day, and I'm sure that will help me.

Helen Hardt said...

Hi Linda, I just popped in because I saw you on Kaye's blog, and here you are talking about me, LOL! Kaye was kind enough to launch me on my release day, and I'm absolutely positive that it helped. Thanks Kaye! *waving* Congratulations on your upcoming release! I'd be happy to promote your book on my blog as well. I do a spot each Monday and focus on the hero of the book. We could do it anytime, the week of your release, or the week after, just let me know. If you're interested, leave me a note on my blog. I also did Christina's blog. It's been great meeting so many great people through the loops and blogs. I never would have imagined such a caring and helpful community existed!

Helen
www.helensheroes.blogspot.com